Nominations for Michael Chin Humanitarian Award 2023
The Michael Chin Humanitarian Award was created in 2000 to honour outstanding individuals for their humanitarian and volunteer activities. Named in honour of Michael Chin, a charter member of the Rotary Club of Karrinyup and long serving General Practitioner in the Karrinyup area, this award recognises individuals, who serve the community and those in need and whose daily dedication and care giving epitomises the highest standard of quality and personal commitment.
Individuals, but not organisations, either living in the vicinity of the city of Stirling area or undertaking humanitarian and volunteer activities in the City of Stirling area may be nominated for the award. The intent is that the recipient of the award be local to the club.
Previous recipients of the award include Dr David Mathias, Alwyn & Elaine Hammond and Jenny Gartrell, as well as Coordinators for hospital and Op Shop volunteers and Wheelchairs for Kids. In 2021 Scott Guerini, who fund raised over $181,000 walking for Telethon, was our youngest recipient.
The qualities that we are looking for in the nominee are in general, individuals who demonstrate a level of commitment and caring that goes beyond everyday acts and who inspire us with their compassion, dedication and spirit.
In the context of volunteering, some examples could be:
- Helping the elderly with chores or visiting them in a care facility;
- Assisting people with disabilities to live good lives and/ or participate in their community;
- Tutoring/Peer mentoring;
- Providing companionship and support to others;
- Helping out with family responsibilities;
- Fundraising, collecting food, clothes, household items etc. for charity;
- Providing support and encouragement to patients in hospitals or at care facilities;
- Participating in school or community clubs;
- Counselling/assisting ‘at risk’ youth.
Nominations for the 2023 Award are now called and close on the 21st March with the intention that the award be presented at the Club’s birthday meeting in May by a member of the Chin family. Please send nominations to PO Box 22, Karrinyup WA 6921 or via email to email@example.com
Read further information and download the 2023 Michael Chin Award nomination form.