| Author's Name: Peter Polain|
Date: Thu 27 Aug 2020
Karrinyup Community Mens Shed Project Complete
The RC Karrinyup has provided considerable funding for the establishment of the Karrinyup Community Men's Shed, at at 6 Jedda Road, Balcatta, which is now self-sufficient on an operational basis and no longer in need of support from RC Karrinyup. Project coordinator Peter Polain, whose dream it was to establish a Men's Shed within the local community, recently gave a close out report stating:
- $10k of the remaining provision that the club set up to establish the Shed was drawn. That took total amount drawn to $33k out of a total provision of $50k. It is not anticipated that the shed will require any further financial support from RC Karrinyup.
- To date the total cap ex for the Shed has been $104k but by leveraging the Rotary money the Shed committee was able to obtain various grants of $71k meaning that the Shed only used $33k of the anticipated $50k.
- The Shed has now been operating for 2 years
- Its operating expenses are covered by its own income.
- It is managed and operated entirely by volunteers
- The Shed is an outlet for men of various ages to engage in hobbies & activities and to interact socially. Age range is from 30’s to 80’s
- Currently it is near capacity at 80 members. Most are healthy but some live with PTSD, autism, schizophrenia and dementia and for other members it is just a reason to get out of bed in the morning.
This project has been achieved because of Rotary and is an excellent demonstration of how Rotary can make a difference to people’s lives.