What is Rotary?
Rotary is a worldwide organisation of business and professional people, which provides humanitarian service, encourages high ethical standards in all vocations and helps build goodwill and peace in the world. Approximately 1.2 million Rotarians belong to over 32,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas.
What are some of the values of Rotary and Rotarians?
Rotarians worldwide are inspired by the Rotary theme of “Service Above Self” and are guided by reference to ‘The Four-Way Test’ which challenges Rotarians, in everything they do, to ask of themselves:
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
Who joins Rotary?
Just about anybody can join a Rotary Club. Members are often in local business and trades, the professions, local administration and all other walks of life. Ideally prospective members should feel they want to contribute to, or be involved in, their local community in some way, while also enjoying a range of social activities. Members may be male, female, single, married, active, retired and virtually of any age from 20's upwards.
What are some of the benefits of joining Rotary?
What is in it for me? Membership of a Rotary club offers a number of benefits including:
- Friendship - In an increasingly complex world, Rotary maintains a simple philosophy – make friends in your own community and throughout the world.
- Giving back to the community - Through Rotary, service to local and overseas communities is well organised and rewarding. If you like helping others, here is your chance to do something worthwhile and make a real difference.
- Fun and entertainment -Rotary is fun… a lot of fun. Our Rotary club and district arranges social activities that provide a welcome distraction to a hectic business life.
- Business development - Networking opportunities are endless. Rotary consists of a cross-section from every business community and its members come from all walks of life.
- Personal growth and development - Membership of Rotary develops leadership, public speaking, social, business, personal and vocational skills as well as improving cultural awareness.
- Community and Global Awareness - Clubs organise programmes and weekly meetings to keep members informed about what is going on in the community, the country and the world. Each meeting provides an opportunity to listen to different speakers on a variety of interesting current topics.
- Travel - Every Rotarian is welcome and encouraged to attend any of the 33,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical regions. This bond creates an instant friendship wherever you are in the world.
Through Rotary's service programs, a Rotary club can have a significant effect on the quality of life in its community. Programs of The Rotary Foundation offer opportunities to form international partnerships that help people in need worldwide.
What are some of the characteristics of the Rotary Club of Karrinyup?
The Rotary Club of Karrinyup is recognised as being a vibrant, progressive and fun group. The club is very active in the local community and at the international level. Whatever your interests we will probably have a project that will interest you!
How does the Rotary Club of Karrinyup support the community?
In the forty years since the Club was formed, we have worked on a number of projects, providing support to many organisations and across many different and diverse areas.
Our major undertaking, which has recently been completed is the Kimberley Ear Bus Project. This project involves working with the Earbus Foundation WA to design and purchase a suitable vehicle, which will be fit for purpose to operate throughout the Kimberley Region of Western Australia to undertake ear diagnostic tests to improve the health of Aboriginal Communities, particularly young children, who are most at risk.
Our current service projects include but are not limited to the following.
Assistance to local organisations such as:
Youth Programmes such as:
- Rotary Youth Exchange (RYE)
- Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA)
- Rotary Youth Program for Enrichment (RYPEN)
- ConocoPhillips Science Experience
- National Youth Science Forum
Support for Rotary Foundation Projects:
Assistance to international communities through projects such as:
How do I become a member?
Please feel free to visit us a few times to see how we operate and to get to know us better. We will answer any of your questions and provide you with information about our Club and Rotary in general. If, after these visits you wish to join the Rotary Club of Karrinyup, your application for membership will be submitted to the Club members and Board.
How much does it cost to join our Club?
Membership costs include:
- Annual Membership Fee of $250 (included Rotary International and District 9455 component)
- Weekly Meeting Dues of $25 (includes a two course dinner)
Do I have to attend every meeting?
Members are encouraged to attend meetings on a regular basis as interaction at meetings is an important way to stay up to date on club projects and to interact/network with other members.
However it is understood that members have other family and work commitments and attendance at every meeting may not be possible.
Where do I find out more about the Rotary Club of Karrinyup?
- Ask any member of our Club - you can always find one any Sunday morning at the administration stall at the Stirling Farmers’ Market.
- Explore our website / Contact us via our website.
- By attending a weekly meeting usually 6.00 for 6.30 pm on Wednesdays at the Hillarys Yacht Club, 65 Northside Drive, Hillarys, 6025 Western Australia. For catering purposes please remember to contact us via our website by Tuesday morning to let us know you are coming for dinner on Wednesday.